Have you washed your sleeping bag since last camping trip? Keep it clean and in top condition with these quick & easy laundry steps:
- Always check the washing and care instructions. Most sleeping bags can be washed but you need to be sure before you proceed.
- Select a large front loader washing machine. Avoid using a top loader, as the drawstring and straps of the bag can get caught or tangled on the agitator.
- Zip the bag up and place in the front loader.
- Select Cold Water (gentle) wash. At Snap, we installed an automatic dosing system which automatically injects high quality mild detergent into the machines with every wash, so there is no need to add detergent.
- Avoid fabric softeners and bleach, especially with down bags (you don’t need to expose yourself and the environment to the chemicals in softeners and bleach if you don’t need to!)
- When complete, get the sleeping bag carefully out of the machine and place in a basket to take home to dry, or use one of the express dryers.
For many sleeping bags, it is possible to use a large dryer like the ones at Snap, where the bag can freely tumble around. While this is suitable for most sleeping bags, read the label carefully before you proceed.
- Set the tumble dryer setting to low.
- Ensure that the bag is not still soaked (allow drip drying first).
- Placement of one or two tennis balls in the dryer can assist in ensuring even distribution of down or filling while the bag dries.
- Tumble dry at low setting only. Check regularly and remove as soon as it has dried.
- Make sure your bag is completely dry when packing in it’s bag.